Were you as horrified as I was by the Panorama programme on Monday evening?
It highligted problems with unqualified ‘Will-Writing’ firms who appear to offer to draw up your will for as little as £30, then pressurises the elderly into signing up for a package which costs over £2,000.
One interviewee called the firm who did a spectacularly bad job on the estate for which she should have been a beneficiary as “cowboys”.
Solicitors often get a bad name for high costs, long-delays and impenetrable jargon but this programme showed just how vulnerable clients are who go to unregulated and uninsured companies.
Remember when reading those attractive adverts – if it looks too good to be true – it probably is.
Last 5 posts by Michael Overend
- Charities – If the Books Don't Balance - September 16th, 2011
- Rising Care Homes Fees Mean More Elderly People Leaving Families With Nothing - September 15th, 2011
- Families Reluctant To Face Up To Realities of Caring for Elderly Relatives - July 8th, 2011
- Does Your Partner Need Residential Care? - March 10th, 2011
- Oxford Family Living in Hardship Due To Court Delays In Paying Out Compensation - December 2nd, 2010