A family has successfully won damages against a Hereford steel works after their father died after coming into contact with asbestos.
Geoffrey Marchant, of Marden, Hereford worked as a carpenter for Painter Brothers Limited at the Hereford Steel Works in Holmer Road from 1953 until 1985 and was there for the majority of his working life.
He started to become unwell in 2007 and was eventually diagnosed with mesothelioma, a tumour caused almost solely by asbestos contact. He was nursed by his daughter but eventually died in November 2011, aged 85.
The family’s lawyer, Brigitte Chandler of Swindon firm, Charles Lucas & Marshall and one of the country’s leading experts in asbestos disease said it was quite common for old factories to be built using asbestos sheets and with asbestos roofs.
“As a result many maintenance staff from the 1950s through to the 1980s are now developing asbestos disease,” she said. “During the course of Mr Marchant’s employment he had to cut and drill asbestos sheets and fit them. He was given no protective clothing.”
Brigitte Chandler says anyone who has worked with asbestos and develops chest problems should visit their medical practitioner for advice.
The insurers for Mr Marchant’s former employers agreed to settle the case out of court as well as pay legal costs.
Swindon and South West Asbestos Group is a regional charity formed about 11 years ago, providing information and support groups for asbestos sufferers and their families.
For further information contact Brigitte Chandler on 01793 511055 or email@example.com
Last 5 posts by Brigitte Chandler
- Leeds Man Receives Pay-Out from British Rail After - December 7th, 2016
- Widow Appeals For Witnesses From Derbyshire Building Company After Husband’s Death From Asbestos - October 20th, 2016
- Former Swindon Pressed Steel Worker Wins Asbestos Court Case - July 26th, 2016
- Gloucestershire Widow Wins Asbestos Damages from Bedford Engineering Company - July 26th, 2016
- Supreme Court Rejects Illogical Precedent on Death Payments - March 16th, 2016