Swindon & Southwest Asbestosgroup
Abestos Related Illnesses

Asbestos Related Illnesses

Industrial Diseases – A Legal Point of View



Damages Awarded to Cirencester Family After Wife Dies From Washing Asbestos Covered Overalls


A devoted wife and mother from Cirencester died after washing her husband’s overalls which were covered with asbestos.

Yvonne Moaby had to wash the overalls by hand because between1962-72 she had no washing machine and she had to shake the overalls first on the front porch to get rid of the white powdery dust they were covered in.

At the time, her husband, John, of Quenington, near Cirencester, was working for the Southern Electricity Generating Board in Gosditch Street where his job was to repair storage heaters and dispose of old ones. Mr Moaby had to strip out asbestos blankets from the heaters before they were taken to the tip.

His solicitor, Brigitte Chandler of Swindon law firm, Charles Lucas & Marshall, was able to prove that even though Mrs Moaby never worked directly with asbestos, her death was caused by washing her husband’s overalls and the lack of protective clothing given to him by his employers.

Ms Chandler, who has acted for hundreds of asbestos-related cancer claimants across the country, secured a £50,000 interim payment for Mrs Moaby during her lifetime and a total payment of damages of £187,500 to Mr Moaby.

Ms Chandler was one of the first lawyers to successfully bring a claim on behalf of a wife who developed mesothelioma, an asbestos related cancer, through washing their husband’s work clothes. Sadly, cases like this have become more and more common.

“Mrs Moaby never worked with asbestos,” said Brigitte Chandler. “She had three children and when they were older she worked as a school dinner lady and in local coffee shops in Cirencester.

“She had been healthy all her life but in 2008 started to become breathless and had severe chest pains. She was diagnosed with mesothelioma and suffered considerably before her death. She lost her voice and spent a period in a hospice.”

Asbestos was widely used in certain industries up until relatively recently and many men brought contaminated clothing home. Children, as well as wives, could be at risk if they hugged their fathers or came into proximity of asbestos dust.

The Swindon and South West Asbestos Group is a regional charity which provides support groups and a free advice service to people suffering from asbestos disease and their families.

They now offer home visits to sufferers in the Swindon area to advise on benefits available.

For further details contact Swindon and South West Asbestos Group, telephone 01793 532995 e-mail: info@asbestosgroup.co.uk or visit www.asbestosgroup.co.uk

For further information contact Brigitte Chandler on 01793-511055 or brigitte.chandler@clmlaw.co.uk

Last 5 posts by Brigitte Chandler

Brigitte Chandler
Written by
Brigitte Chandler

August 16th, 2013 at 3:38 pm



without comments