Brigitte Chandler, partner and industrial disease specialist with Charles Lucas & Marshall, has won a £400k settlement for a widow whose husband died from mesothelioma after being exposed to asbestos.
She brought the claim against electronics company, Spectrol Reliance Ltd, now known as Pita Ltd, where the widow’s husband worked as an electronics engineer at its Swindon factory between 1978-1985.
“The size of the settlement is substantial for a mesothelioma case but the deceased was a relatively young man when he died, 56.
“He became ill while he was still working and his wife has therefore lost considerable wages and pension as a result of his premature death,” she said.
The claim was settled shortly before the court hearing when insurers for Pita Ltd agreed to pay.
The deceased man had to regularly go into a boiler room which was lagged with asbestos. No steps were taken by Spectrol Alliance to remove the asbestos until the late 1980s.
“Unfortunately, most industrial boilers had asbestos and many companies were relaxed about removing the asbestos. As a result, people who had to go into boiler houses – which included many tradesmen – were exposed to asbestos and are now developing health problems as a result.
“It is anticipated that the number of people dying from mesothelioma is on the increase and will shortly peak.”
A regional charity, the Swindon and South West Asbestos Group provides support to families affected by asbestos related diseases. It can ne contacted on 01793 532995 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information contact Brigitte Chandler on 01793-511055 or email@example.com
Last 5 posts by Brigitte Chandler
- Leeds Man Receives Pay-Out from British Rail After - December 7th, 2016
- Widow Appeals For Witnesses From Derbyshire Building Company After Husband’s Death From Asbestos - October 20th, 2016
- Former Swindon Pressed Steel Worker Wins Asbestos Court Case - July 26th, 2016
- Gloucestershire Widow Wins Asbestos Damages from Bedford Engineering Company - July 26th, 2016
- Supreme Court Rejects Illogical Precedent on Death Payments - March 16th, 2016