Archive for June, 2010
The son of Raymond Neale received £120k in damages on behalf of his father’s estate and on behalf of his mother after his father died as a result of exposure to asbestos at work.
Daniel Neale made the claim against BRB (Residuary), formerly British Rail, where his father worked from 1947 until 1952.
His father, Raymond Neale, who lived at Boscombe Road, Swindon, died in 2008, aged 76, from mesothelioma after he was exposed to asbestos during his time spent as a french polisher at British Rail. He worked in areas where blue asbestos was sprayed on to coaches.
Daniel Neale was represented at the High Court, London by Brigitte Chandler, a partner with Swindon law firm, Charles Lucas & Marshall, and one of the country’s leading industrial disease solicitors, who has dealt with thousands of asbestos claims over the last 30 years – many of them against British Rail.
The £120k awarded by the Court plus legal costs was to pay towards the pain and suffering of Mr Neale and the funeral and nursing costs incurred by his wife.
“People were simply unaware of the dangers of asbestos,” says Brigitte Chandler. “There was no protective clothing and workers used to make footballs from asbestos and even birthday cakes.”
Mr Neale became ill in March 2008 and died in October later that year.
“When I first started dealing with these claims, British Rail invariably disputed them,” says Brigitte Chandler. “It is now much easier because British Rail tend to accept liability and are aware there is no defence.
“There have been a number of people who worked, like Mr Neale, in number 7 shop at British Rail who have become ill with asbestos disease.
“Overall, we anticipate the number of people developing asbestos disease over the next few years will increase due to the import of asbestos into this country in the 50s, 60s and 70s.”
Please contact Brigitte Chandler on 01793 511055 or firstname.lastname@example.org